San Diego Nonprofit Case Study
“Re-building a Brand: Turning Bad News into Good Vibes”
The San Diego Nonprofit Leadership Forum was established with the help of Plumb, First Republic Bank, Nonprofit Management Solutions and The San Diego Foundation to offer quarterly educational presentations to enhance the success of San Diego nonprofit organizations.
Join us for a complimentary lunch and informative discussion, featuring Nancy Sasaki, Executive Director of Alliance Healthcare Foundation and Kevin Popović, Founder & CEO of Ideahaus®
Date: Thursday, May 5, 2016
Time: 11:30AM – 1:00PM
Location: The San Diego Foundation: 2508 Historic Decatur Road, San Diego, CA 92106
Every organization works to build a brand, but sometimes it doesn’t go as planned. Or maybe it wasn’t planned very well from the beginning – it just started and then something happened. Nonetheless, when a business identifies it’s in a bad place with its target audience it has to stop. Put somebody in charge. Then, make a new plan for how to fix what’s broken.
Rebuilding a brand can be an enormous undertaking, but if you start from the beginning – with the people you are trying to help – you can fix what’s broken. Learn how from the Alliance Healthcare Foundation.
Their community was unhappy with AHF, despite its mission to help the disadvantaged gain access to healthcare in San Diego and Imperial counties. “The survey came back really blasting us,” Executive Director Nancy Sasaki said, “There were comments that our board of directors was out of touch with the community and that the community was confused about what we funded.”
To help her rebrand AHF, Sasaki hired Ideahaus®, a creative communications agency, and one of the first things they tackled was the tagline. Ideahaus Founder Kevin Popovic explains it was “improving access to healthcare” and was changed to “Advancing health and wellness for those in need,” which more accurately describes the broad services that AHF funds in the community.
The other things – strategy, corporate identity, website, social media, event, public relations, and the like – are in the rest of the story.
Kevin Popović, Founder / CEO of Ideahaus®
Kevin Popović is the Founder of Ideahaus, an award-winning creative communications agency that helps B2B, B2C and Non-Profit organizations build their brands and increase sales.
In 2014 and 2015, he was named one of the “The Top 20 Digital Marketing Strategists,” by Online Marketing Institute, chosen for “innovative contributions in the digital marketing community and dedication to creating online education opportunities for business owners, marketers, and students around the world.”
Popović also is a Lecturer at San Diego State University teaching Creativity & Innovation in the School of Management providing students with an understanding of how creativity and innovation can be facilitated and managed in a work setting.
His most recent book, “Satellite Marketing: Using Social Media to Create Engagement” provides a complete understanding of social media and an actionable process, based on goals, to create engagement.
- Connect with Kevin Popović on LinkedIn
- Like Ideahaus on Facebook
- Like Kevin Popović Facebook
- Follow Kevin Popović on Twitter
- Follow Ideahaus on Twitter
Nancy Sasaki, Executive Director, Alliance Healthcare Foundation
Nancy Sasaki is the Executive Director of Alliance Healthcare Foundation, a San Diego nonprofit organization funding projects and services which advance health and wellness for those in need.
Nancy started her career as a Health Educator for Planned Parenthood in Austin, Texas, a career which spanned 29 years, before earning a position as the CEO in Los Angeles and the interim CEO in Hawaii.
Nancy also worked as the Executive Director of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of San Diego & Imperial Counties. She is most proud of her efforts to expand access for women in need in each of the communities served, to enhance cultural awareness for employees and customers/patients, and to bring innovative alternatives to the organization.
Nancy holds a Masters Degree from The University of Texas at Austin in Community Health and is accomplished in specialties including non-profit management, healthcare leadership, change management, and leadership development.
- Connect with Nancy Sasaki on LinkedIn
- Like AHF on Facebook
- Follow Nancy Sasaki on Twitter
- Follow AHF on Twitter
Alliance Healthcare Foundation 2016 Innovative Initiative (12) is Now Open:
- AHF developed the Innovation Initiative to support transformational thinking and action to improve systems related to health and wellness.
- AHF is interested in innovative solutions that address healthcare access issues, reach the target populations, and use innovation effectively and in ways that reduce costs, increase capacity, or improve quality.
- Online applications are accepted through May 11, 2016.
- Learn more here: Innovation Initiative
“Satellite Marketing: Using Social Media to Create Engagement” by Kevin Popović
- New book, “Satellite Marketing: Using Social Media to Create Engagement”
- Provides a complete understanding of social media, simply explained by an accomplished practitioner.
- Teaches a proven process to create an actionable strategic plan, based on measurable goals.
- Provides case stories (like AHF), business reference, and academic citations
- Pre-order here: “Satellite Marketing: Using Social Media to Create Engagement”
In an increasingly competitive environment, the financial statements are growing to be as important as the cause when it comes to fundraising and grants. Nonprofit accounting and reporting is complex and organizations cannot always justify the budget of a robust internal staff. TAG can help mitigate that problem by offering outsourced nonprofit accounting services.
Nonprofit Accounting & Software Services:
- Outsourced Accounting Services
- Outsourced Controller
- Outsourced Bookkeeping
- Restricted Donations and Endowments
- Grant Compliance
- Fund Accounting
- Internal Controls
- Audit and Tax Assistance
- Research on TAX and GAAP Issues
- Accounting Software Consulting